Corns and Calluses

Comfort Shoe Specialists of St. Louis carries an extensive selection of shoes to accommodate corns and calluses.  We have the skills, vast inventory and expertise to customize footwear, whether bought at our facility or elsewhere, to relieve corns and calluses.

Corns are hard areas on skin, most typically on the toes.  Corns are the result of focused pressure from ill-fitting shoes.  The skin thickens to protect a bony prominence, usually from a  malposition of a toe joint.  The skin compacts and becomes adherent instead of shedding like the surrounding skin.  Initially the buildup helps the bony prominence but as the skin thickens, and it causes pain.

Calluses are hard areas on the skin on the plantar surface or sole of the foot caused from excessive pressure from ill-fitting shoes, prominent metatarsal heads, or faulty bio-mechanics.  Calluses can be painful and threaten foot health and well-being.  This skin also compacts and is unable to shed the dead skin in order to make way for healthier surrounding tissues.  Often the remark is made, “I feel like I’m walking on rocks.”

The National Health Interview Survey reported that calluses and corns were the most common foot problems.  In one study of the elderly, corns and /or calluses with females had a high prevalence of 68%.

The solution lies in relieving the pressure for both corns and calluses.  Proper shoe fit is essential to improve foot health.

  • Anatomical shaped toe box that respects the foot structure
  • Thorlo Padds or other extra thick socks like Smartwool
  • Aetrex Copper Socks have woven copper that assists the skin in rebuilding
  • Custom Molded Footwear:  Shoes or boots
  • Custom orthotics to stabilize the foot, often adding forefoot varus wedging for intervention, controlling over-pronation
  • Stretch Shoes to increase width of forefoot of footwear
  • Adjustable straps in walking sandals such as Finn Comfort Baltrum, Finn Comfort Sylt, Finn Comfort Jamaica and many other styles and brands
  • Medial Heel Wedging
  • Referral to physicians if unresponsive to conservative measures